Thursday, September 4, 2014

A NEW JOURNEY

This week I probably took one of the biggest leaps of faith ever in my life.

It was and going to be quite challenging ...
It made me feel a bit nauseous yet excited ...
... and it had something to do with kids.

No I'm not pregnant ha! :)

Early this week I published my very first issue of Kids Nation magazine. It's a free bi-monthly mag dedicated to empowering kids around the world.



It was actually something that I had in mind about 12 years ago. But I didn't think much of it, because it all seemed impossible - my limited resources, budget, time, etc at that time.

Twelve years on, my resources, budget and time are still limited :)
I completely forgot about that dream until a few months ago when I was applying for a funding.

It really got me thinking:
What was the purpose of my business, other than making money?
Where would I see myself  in 5, 10 years time?
What legacy did I want to leave?

Those were BIG questions for me. As I was thinking about all these questions, I remembered again about my dream of having a mag that is positive for the next generations.

So ... Kids Nation was born.

It was an exciting journey indeed! I got to meet (virtually) contributors and writers from different parts of the world.

Yay! So happy to meet these people:)

Lots of thinking, planning and coffees to keep me awake :) Tons of love and support from my families and friends.

You can read the magazine for free here

and please kindly spread the word about this mag :)

Today, I also want to ask you the same questions:

What's the purpose of your job or business, other than making money?
Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 years time?
What legacy do your want to leave?

10 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is awesome. Really great! Is it only an e-zine, or is it hardcopy too?
    The children of today are our future and our tomorrow. I am loving it. Is there an email list to sign up for?

    And to answer your questions, the purpose of our family's small business is to make money for their educational expenses, to teach my kids about finance, business and doing something that they enjoy. I have no idea what I'll be doing in 5 or 10 years, and I don't know where I'll be, but wherever I am, and whatever I'm doing, I want to be happy. As for a legacy, I want my kids to be able to pass down the same life lessons and more to their kids. I want them to be independent, respectful, kind, generous and appreciative in life and in business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim! :) Yes it's only online (digital magazine) so there's no printed copy. You can subscribe to the newsletter on Kids Nation Mag facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/kidsnationmag). With the newsletter, basically I'll let the subscribers know when there's a new edition.

      That's so awesome Kim. Thanks for sharing that. I admire how you get your kids involved with the business too!

      Delete
  2. Congrats! What a great accomplishment!
    In 5 or 10 years, I hope to still be working for myself and loving my job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks heaps Edi! yes and it's great to see how your biz has grown so far!

      Delete
  3. YES. These ARE the questions we have to ask ourselves!

    (Congrats on the magazine. That is HUGE!)

    I decided after I had our children; I was not meant to be an admin assistant. And an art galleries weren't going to come find ME, I was going to have to make it happen for myself! So I decided I wanted to become an art teacher and working artist. And I'm doing it, more or less!

    Life's too short not to use your talents. For reals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for making it happen and for doing what you love with your talents.. By the way, I didn't realize that you're an art teacher Melissa!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! This is huge! I'm so excited to read it! (So many !!!s)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha .. yes so many !!! :) I think if a post could have a sound, you'd hear me squealing too :)

      Delete
  5. The magazine looks awesome, congrats! And I love projects with paint swatches. In 5 - 10 years time, I hope my business is doing better and I will have fun trying to accomplish tha,t and meeting awesome other makers and thinkers along the way :-) Have a fun weekend with your loved ones Mia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Mia! you are great and so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...